Thursday 19 March 2020

Both Wilbur and Charlotte

A while back I got an idea that continues to land as fabulous-plus: have a woman I know play Wilbur, and man I know play Charlotte. Both are veteran actors. They're married to each other. He's taller, more angular, more like a spider negotiating a web or descending on a thin, spun line. She's stronger, more compact, better at rooting and rolling and snuffling at scraps. 
These two would understand/create perfectly Charlotte's love for Wilbur, and his for her.
When I pitched the idea--more a casual lob than a pitch--she said, "Did you mean to cross the genders?" 
"Absolutely," I said. "Charlotte and Wilbur are beyond gender." Which I leave at that.
In making the pitch, I sent an alphabetized list of what both Wilbur and Charlotte do. Here are the first five items:


Wilbur
Act quickly when it matters most
Adore a little girl who believes in you
Aim to please
Be center of attention
Be grateful

Charlotte
Accept what is sure to come, but reach for more
Admit you’ll never get home again.
Be generous without limits, but impatient when necessary
Be invisible at times
Be matter-of-fact about who you are and what you do

Both Wilbur and Charlotte
Ask and answer questions
Be alone together
Be open to new words
Comfort
Discuss stillness

In my imagination, the two actors and I would build the show from 

the actions out. Start with what the actors do, how they move. Let 

the story come from that.


No comments: