Thursday 5 June 2014

Flamenco in Regina

I tried. I showed up with my backpack, by myself, early--just as I'd done for dozens of arts events in Europe. I didn't hold out much hope, however, for flamenco in the context of official multiculturalism. In a curling rink.
To elaborate on those two problems: the acoustics were terrible. The vocals and guitar were inaudible, the palmas (clapping) even more so. The ensemble dancing, even precisely delivered, sounded like a truckload of boxes tumbling off the back. And as part of the "Latin" pavilion of the Mosaic Multicultural Festival, the flamenco group shared the stage with salsa dancers, traditional Mexican and Chilean dancers, etc. This turns living culture into museum pieces. Given those two conditions, any chance of the electricity I experienced in Andalusia was squashed.
But I salute Flamenco Regina for doing what they can. They're serious about flamenco, bless their hearts. I'll try them again tomorrow.

1 comment:

vernon andres said...

Hi Gerry:

Just finished reading your BlogSpot. Very enjoyable. I was wondering what your writing would have been like if you had taken your sabbatical in New Guinea? I was talking to Alan and Nan the other day. They asked me how you were doing and I told them about your sabbatical. They said the last time they talked to you, you were on a sabbatical. I will phone you soon

Vernon