Tuesday 6 March 2012

Writing

Maybe I should stop talking and just get them to write. I think they'd like that more. I guess what I'm doing is a pre-emptive strike toward writing I'd rather read. Don't get romantic, get specific, is the kind of thing I've been saying.
Some students aren't convinced. They're bringing in knives and Russians and south Florida and forgetting that a human being, their character, wants something--which no plot exotica can provide.
I wonder if that's what I shouldn't be saying.
It's taking too long (my fault) to get to material and the workshop fun that goes with it.
Meanwhile, I hope the Raymond Carver stories pay off--the ones in What We Talk About When We Talk About Love in which, as I claimed earlier today, the story lies deep, barely visible through words.

3 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Ok, I'm going to order that book and pretend I'm in your class.

Gerald Hill said...

Your poetry portfolio was due yesterday, Brenda.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Ha! :)