Wednesday 18 January 2012

Idea

Let's see if this works. I pass out pages ripped at random from a copy of Twilight found in my laundry room. Make something of this, I might say. I try the idea myself.
Page 163 begins "'No,' he said curtly, and his tone was livid."
Not very nuanced a characterization.
The spacing of words on the page itself cries out don't read me but I guess
lots of people do.
But on to the making of something. The poem scoops
a word or two (as much
as it can stomach) finds
grimace twice in three pages and gets
the hell away.

8 comments:

J Thue said...

Haha! I love this, Gerry.

Gerald Hill said...

Yup, I think I'm going to try it out, Joni.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Two scoops please!

Gerald Hill said...

All kidding aside, the last word in this book is "vampires" described as "suddenly ravenous" at the sight of "bright red blood pulsing out of my arm"--this all happening while the narrator is "dazed and disoriented". Honestly!

Courtney Bates-Hardy said...

Haha! I can't believe you actually skimmed through it!

Gerald Hill said...

One page was enough. Today in class when I asked students to pick a number between 1 and 498, then rip the corresponding page from Twilight, some people were shocked

Courtney Bates-Hardy said...

That's an even better assignment than correcting Leader Post articles!

Don Perkins said...

So, Gerry--rip me a page..... I want to try this. Actually--just throw some dice or pop a random number generator and tell me what page turns up. No need to FAX: I have my own copy, as yet unopened, the Little Brown edition. Don't ask.