Monday 18 April 2011

The Gerald Hill Diet, Step One

Lose the Rip-L chips. As everyone in my family knows--hello my sisters--that's tough to do. Any lunch, any picnic or summer meal, anytime hot dogs stack on a plate or a can of beans (Heinz, in tomato sauce only) heat in the saucepan, it's time to pull another deck of Rip-Ls from that lower cupboard where the double-pack boxes neatly stack. But at about 250 calories per 11 chips--11 chips! That's barely a mouthful--they just do not, I'm sorry, fit the GHD, Step One. Same goes, by the way, for the lime nachos.

When I say Rip-L, I refer only to the Old Dutch variety. And if I ever say major lifestyle adjustment, I refer to that crisis point, a couple of decades back, when Old Dutch ceased dispensing Rip-Ls in the little bags and we either stood bewildered in front of the junk food machine or settled for plain chips (second choice, Sour Cream and Onions; third, Bar-B-Q).

I've written to Old Dutch about this matter but do they listen?

5 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Is this one of those fad diets? Seems a bit extreme. I mean, lose the lime nachos? C'mon!

Gerald Hill said...

It's a low-fad diet, Brenda.

Kathleen Wall said...

I can lose the ripple chips. But where does losing chocolate fit in to your diet--about step 6?

Gerald Hill said...

Chocolate--is that above or below the carburetor?

Bernadette said...

You can't give up Rip-L chips, Gerry, it's sacrilege! Do you really want to rot in hell with no Rip-L chips? Maybe give up the Philadelphia Onion dip that goes with it -- oh, wait, whose addiction is this? :P