Friday 27 February 2009

Just for the fun of it

After reading Judith Krause's "Black Ice", a poem selected by one of my students, I got this idea. Write a short prose narrative about a car accident or close call. Now re-compose your writing into about eight two-line stanzas, six words per line. Slap a title on it. Ok, now turn your paper over and answer this question: Is this a poem?

My favourite answers:

Yes, anything can be a poem and a poem can be anything.
Well, I wouldn't normally construct a poem this way. So I would have to say not really.
I think it's a poem because I believe it is a poem.
It can be read like one.
This has the potential to be a poem.
There are no set standards to say exactly how a poem should be organized.
It conveys way too much emotion to just be called a "story".
It could be a poem if I wanted it to.
It does not make the best poem because of punctuation, form, etc.

After running those points past my students an hour from now, I'll show them a few accidental linkebreaks like these:

-seatbelt never tightened and his airbag
didn't depl0y

-the right hand lane and cuts
me off

-I felt like I had
no control

-The truck flipped
four or five times, end over

end

-sister, cousin Brittany and my Aunt
and Uncle in the other.

The final step, for now, will be to invite my students to perform a few simple edits of "punctuation, form, etc." and see what they get.

No comments: