Thursday 4 June 2020

Words and Music

Dedicated readers of this blog--yes, good sunny morning to you, Aunt Huck and Uncle Jim--will know I've been writing a musical called Charlotte and Wilbur, which I may have typed as Wilbur and Charlotte once or twice.
First draft finished, it's on hiatus for the month while I write something else.
When I say 'finished,' I mean the first draft of the book is finished, with notes for some songs and fragments of lyrics, but no complete songs.
Last night I caught an interview between Andre Previn and Stephen Sondheim from 1977. In their "what comes first, the music or the lyrics" chat, Sondheim says usually he hears the rhythm of the melody, then he finds the words. He cites Cole Porter writing "it was just [pause] one of those things" as that rhythm first, then later as the famous melody, here done by Rosemary Clooney.
So, says Sondheim, I look for two things: a title line that sums up what the song is saying, and a rhythm. "From there, melodic ideas form."
This all makes perfect sense to me, given my limited experience with such matters. 
But, as I say, I'll be getting to all that later. The interview with Previn and the wonderfully articulate Sondheim, by the way, is one of the best I've seen.


4 comments:

Nathan Frank said...

Stumbled back upon your blog. I'll always be grateful for you and the creative writing class I took from you in 2011.

Gclub8 said...

Gclub8 คาสิโน รูปแบบใหม่ เปิด ให้บริการ 24 ชั่วโมง ด้วยระบบ ฝาก ถอนเงินแบบออโต้ PGSLOT จึงทำให้ได้รับความนิยม เว็บไซต์ คาสิโน ชั้น 1 อาณาจักรมีเพรียบ และ กองทัพเกมส์ เยอะมากนานา

เกม สล็อต ฟรี said...

เกม สล็อต ฟรี เป็นเกมที่โด่งดังใน คาสิโน เป็นลำดับแรกๆแน่ๆ pgslot นั้นเป็นเกมที่จำเป็นต้องอาศัยการเล่นระยะยาว หรือเล่นเรื่อยเพื่อปั่น ยังจำต้องอาศัยดวง สำหรับเพื่อการเล่น

Ambbet said...

คาสิโนสด Ambbet เว็บเดิมพันออนไลน์สมัยใหม่ เดิมพันออนไลน์ Ambbet ได้ทุกที่ เล่นได้ทุกเกม สล็อต บาคาร่าสด ไฮโล รูเล็ต เกมยิงปลา เสือมังกร ครบจบในที่เดียว เล่นง่ายผ่านหน้าจอโทรศัพท์มือถือ ซึ่งเข้าเล่นได้ทุกระบบ ทั้ง ios และ android เพียงแค่เชื่อมเน็ตเล่นได้ทันที เพลิดเพลินไปกับเกมที่หลากหลาย รูปแบบไม่ซ่ำ เริ่มต้นกับ Ambbet ได้ง่ายๆ เพียงแค่ 1 บาท เท่านั้น