Sunday 16 September 2007

A Morning

I thought the morning was great already--summerish, gently breezy, a run around the lake just ahead--then I heard Rajaton (Finnish, six-person, mixed-voice vocal group) sing "Butterfly," a song crying "love me" and "good-bye," from a concert recorded by CBC last month in Vancouver. Quiet, lots of swing, sweeter than harmony. If you have a sentimental streak, as I do, and you like your musicianship at a very high level, you too might have sat there half-dressed, hoping the song won't end. I did manage to call my daughter Lucy, though, who'd caught Rajaton at the Banff Centre a few years ago on a school band/choir trip.

6 comments:

SMSteele said...

check out the Finnish fiddle/fusion group JPP!

Gerald Hill said...

Will do.

gh

Anonymous said...

Gerry--they sounded so intriguing that I did a Google search and found a YouTube video of them doing the song (click here for the link).

You're right--they're wonderful.

Gerald Hill said...

Thanks Amy. Fun to hear/see them.

gh

Tom said...

Heh heh funny connection--Rebs and the Classics performed this song years ago, with Tahirih Vejdani doing the solo. We have been putting it on mixed cds since then. So good.

Gerald Hill said...

No wonder they've been in my head all day.